Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Touchy-Feely

The culinary theme for Sunday's Concert in the Park with The Mighty Untouchables came down to a few choices: Food you wouldn't want to touch or eat with your fingers; a dish created by playing with your food; or finger food. I offered the group a choice between the second two...

It was hot and muggy Sunday morning, with thunder, lightening and a massive 10-minute downpour. Southern California made the news because we had some weather. I wasn't in the mood to heat up the house too much with cooking, so I decided to make a go of Bon Appetit's Cook the Cover Challenge with the August cover - Tomato, Onion and Roasted Lemon Salad. The only cooking involved was roasting lemon slices tossed with sage, sugar and olive oil, and I was able to "play" with the gorgeous heirloom tomatoes, purple onions, and micro greens in my plating and photography. I wish I could say these tomatoes and herbs came from my garden. I do have a few herbs in window boxes on my patio, but I still needed to supplement with some better looking sage and micro greens. I was able to come up with a few sprigs of homegrown parsley...

Once I got into the zone, spending a good part of Sunday preparing food, styling and photographing, listening to music, hanging out with Trapper, and sipping on some wine, I was reminded of how much I enjoy all of that. I just wish I still had the motivation and time to cook, photograph and blog a few times a week.

The dressing for the salad is an interesting combination of pomegranate molasses, olive oil and allspice. I love pomegranate molasses and also used it recently in Bon Appetit's Sweet and Tangy Hummus.








Trapper just thinks he wants a tomato
***

The Mighty Untouchables played upbeat dance music, we had a good turnout, and the food was easy and fun. Jim & Carmen took the prize with their Spicy Shrimp and Forbidden Rice Wraps! The only thing missing was dessert, and I really had a sweet tooth that night!

Pam played with her food and created Mr. Salad Head

Kai modeled Spicy Grilled Shrimp, Forbidden Rice and Cabbage Wraps
prepared by Jim & Carmen

Kai & Hillari opted for finger food - Kai, you're laggin' in the ktichen! 

And, here's that Sweet & Tangy Hummus mentioned earlier...




No comments: