Monday, February 8, 2010

Brunch at the Red Door: Bottomless Mimosas and Eggs Benedict taken to a higher level

I had every intention of cooking this past weekend.  We contemplated preparing and blogging about gumbo, in honor of the New Orleans Saints playing in the Super Bowl; gnocchi, a post we've been wanting to do; and an Eggs Benedict variation we recently enjoyed.  I even pulled out The French Laundry, with grandeur thoughts of preparing a romantic dinner in honor of our three-year dating anniversary.

Unfortunately, all of these ideas went down the drain and were replaced by anxious and uneasy feelings caused by the untimely demise of my computer.

I'm pleased to report I'm up and running again, with a brand new iMac...yep, I made the leap to Apple.  It's a beautiful, stylish machine, with a 21.5 inch widescreen and wireless keyboard and mouse.  I can't wait to learn all it has to offer!

In between computer shopping and munching on Moose Mix during the Super Bowl, we decided to return to The Red Door, this time to sample Brunch.  Last month, we visited this charming Mission Hills restaurant for the first time and blogged about our recreation of the delicious Shrimp Creole offered on the appetizer menu.

The hostess offered us a nice table for two next to the window.  Within seconds of opening the menu, and almost simultaneously, we both zeroed in on Bottomless Mimosas and Sausage Benedict.  I let John order the Benedict and I went with the Flat Iron Steak & Eggs.  When I know I will be blogging about a meal out, I laugh at how my menu decisions are influenced by what appears to be the most interesting and photographable dish on the menu!  Fortunately, every offering on this menu called out to me and I simply chose what sounded most appealing to my taste.

The Red Door entrance, with the dining room windows to the right
and the cozy lounge and wine bar windows to the left


John enjoying his Bottomless Mimosa


Sausage Benedict
Spicy Chicken-Japapeno Sausage on polenta, poached eggs, cilantro-lime hollandaise sauce; served with breakfast potatoes


Flat-Iron Steak & Eggs
Meyer all-natural flat iron steak, two eggs any style, breakfast potatoes


A view of the wine wall and booth seating


I seem to be on a poached egg kick and love the innovative Eggs Benedict dishes I've experienced recently.  The Red Door's version, and Mesa Grill's version, are incredible!  

We do plan on returning to our new-found restaurant, for dinner.  I have my eye on the "Cheeky" Surf & Turf...


8 comments:

Rose said...

I am on a serious poached egg kick girl! I can't stop craving them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This breakfast looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a delightful restaurant with exceptionally nice poached egg dishes. However, they’re not nearly as nice as your recent Breakfast for Dinner photo! Those poached eggs, hash and asparagus just oozed with deliciously sensuous appeal. So sorry you lost those fabulous photos on your computer. We were really looking forward to that post and recipe.

Denise said...

Thank you, Rose!

And thank you, Mom ;-)
We will be doing a re-do on our Breakfast for Dinner post

Jenna said...

Oh my goodness the egg benedict looks delicisou!

Cookie said...

Endless Mimosas? Sounds like a great start to the day! My best friend lives in San Diego and I'm definitely gonna recommend this place to her. She LOVES Eggs Benedict!

sarah @ syrupandhoney said...

omg I am going to try to make that sausage benedict this weekend! drool.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your kind comments. We are SO glad that you enjoyed your visits to The Red Door. Your photos are wonderful - thanks for posting them. If you have a craving for a great Beef Wellington we'd love to have you try our new steak and martini lounge, The Wellington, next door. BTW - I love Newfies! The teddy bear (or is that black bear) of dogs.

Coronado Mayor Casey Tanaka said...

I have had dinner at the Red Door twice and enjoyed my meals both times. You might want to try the pork cheek appetizer. It was superb!